Sunday, October 30, 2011

Blog Post 10

teacher and students


DO YOU TEACH OR DO YOU EDUCATE?
The video was enlightening. I never thought about it before but it made me stop and think of how different teaching and educating is. Teaching is not as personal as educating is and that is what I want to do. I decided to become an educator so I could help the future students get an understanding on subjects and not just glide through without really learning.
Our society is not working as hard as we should be to make sure our students understand the curriculum rather than just passing them. I intend to educate my students on the curriculum and anything else needed. I will not be a teacher that only comes to work for a paycheck. I love to see children learning and I love to be the one educating them about different things. I did not decide to get into this profession for anything else except to help children.

DON'T LET THEM TAKE THE PENCILS HOME
This blog post was fun to read. I like how he came up with a solution to the problem of the pencils rather than arguing about it and getting no where. Mr. Johnson discusses how students need to take pencils home to keep the learning process going. Yes, a lot of their parents are poor and they would all rather play games with the pencils but with the parents getting educated also then it will help the students.
The issue was that the SCIIAS believed that taking pencils home lowered their tests scores but the test given was cookie cutter and gave no open freedom for the students. She believed that since the parents did not use pencils in their jobs that they would only play games like hangman and not get any work done. Mr. Johnson simple came up with a plan to educate the parents and decided if they did end up playing games or drawing maybe there was some kind of educational process happening.

2 comments:

  1. "...different teaching and educating is." is should be are.

    You missed the metaphor. You are not the first. Additional Assignment: Read these three posts:

    1. Metaphors: What They Are and Why We Use Them

    In that post there is a Special Assignment. Do that assignment in a new post which is Additional Post #1. It does NOT substitute for Blog Post #14 as it did in the Spring semester.

    Due midnight Sunday November 20, 2011.

    2. Metaphor Discussion Update

    3. Jennifer Asked: Why Use Metaphors? Here is My Answer

    4. For more information also see:
    You Missed the Point! It's Not A Pencil…"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe educating is more than just on a curriculum basis. Educating enlighten students on life in general and helping them grow as people.

    ReplyDelete