Sunday, September 18, 2011

Blog Post 4

Ipod kid


THE BENEFITS OF PODCASTING IN THE CLASSROOM
Watching this video I was surprised at what all can be done using podcasts. It is easy to interact with students all over the world and using podcast teaches higher levels of Bloom's Taxonomy. There are also different ways to do school projects in every subject. Creativity is enhanced including using audio files.
When a student is absent one day or a few days they can go online and watch what they have missed and not fall behind. Parents can also watch what their children are learning and listen at anytime. I am planning on using a podcast in my classroom for these reasons because when I was in grade school I did not like missing class and getting behind.

EDUCATION PROGRAMMING NETWORK
Different curriculum is easily found using this network. There are many websites that educators use to share knowledge, insights and talk about their passion of teaching. Stories and ideas are shared with each other from all over the world. Many teachers use these websites to get great ideas to use in their classroom.
I would like to join a few websites when I become a teacher so I could find different fun ideas I may have not thought of before. I would also like to discuss stories and other information with teachers near and far away. Websites are good resources to use for class and in class to show students that when they get in middle or high school if they need ideas for projects they could find great websites to use.

JUDY SCHARF PODCAST COLLECTION
Before reading this article I did not know podcast is a cross between broadcast and ipod. She describes it as a radio-style talk show with music if desired. These could be used on a computer or mp3 player and downloaded from itunes or podcast hosting services. Podcasts can be shared with millions of people through the internet all over the world. It does not cost much and is a fun way to do projects. Any subject can be found on podcasts, it is not just for the basic language, science, history and math. Especially college courses will be found on podcasts.
I thought this was interesting to find out a student could purchase podcasts on their ipod or mp3 player through itunes. That would be very convenient for students of all ages because most students now have a type of music play. It could be an actual ipod of mp3 play or it could be on their cellphones. Using podcasts would be a good idea in class incase my students would like to refresh their memory on a subject while doing homework or other reasons.

4 comments:

  1. Nikita,

    It sounds like you learned quite a lot about podcast's. I'm in the same boat as you because I haven't had too much experience with them. I first heard of podcast's through ESPN and "The Lex and Terry" show. I like how you describe what you learn from the readings when you are talking about them. How would you use what you learned in your classroom? I know you touched base on it a little bit but I was curious if you had some of your own ideas as to how you would use podcast's. I think as we both get more experience with podcast's, and teaching for that matter, we will be able to expand our creativity to better our students learning environment. Keep up the good work and continue to expand and challenge your comfort zones.

    Eric Manheim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I plan on video taping as much as I can in my class and making a podcast for the students when they are out and for parents if they would like to see what we are learning. According to the grade level I would like to have the students talk to other students and teachers in different states to see what they are learning about in their class and maybe help each other find ways to learn the curriculum in a fun way that I may not have thought of. That's just a couple things I want to do, which by the time I graduate there may be something more high-tech out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I am planning on using a podcast in my classroom..." Good!

    "I would like to join a few websites when I become a teacher..." Why wait?

    "...purchase podcasts on their ipod or mp3 player through itunes." Not purchase. they are free!

    "That would be very convenient for students of all ages because most students now have a type of music play. It could be an actual ipod of mp3 play or it could be on their cellphones." In both instances I think you meant player rather than play. Otherwise your sentences do not make sense.

    Proofread! There are other minor errors proofreading should have caught.

    I hope these assignments helped in your preparation for your podcast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nikita
    By reading your blog post I learned even more about podcast. Like you, I have not had much experience with podcasting. I would like to learn more so that one day I will be able to use it in my classroom. Podcast are a great use of technology. Teachers could record books and allow students to listen and follow along in their books. I hope you have a great semester in edm310!

    ReplyDelete