Saturday, September 10, 2011

Blog Post 3

guy kissing computer


For my C4C assignment to critique their work I chose to contact them by email to make it personal. I thought of what approach I would want someone to take with me if I made any type of errors in my work. Some people will get defensive either way but I believe they will be less likely to get defensive if they see I respected them enough to not publicly critique them.

IT'S NOT ABOUT TECHNOLOGY
I agree with the statement teachers must be learners. There is always something new going to be going on with our future students and we need to know what that it. Whether it be a new social networking website or a new web browser. Teacher's do not need to sit and wait for the school principal to tell them what is going on and what to do. No two people learn the same way nor teach the same way. If a teacher is not getting across to the students maybe they need to try a new approach, with or without technology.
Teachers also need to know how to use this new technology in the classroom. They need to know a little more than the basic information so they could show their students what we can find on the internet pertaining to school. When teachers feel they do not need to learn to use the new technology they are depriving their students of ways they could be learning through the tools. Teachers are to prepare their students for their future and since our world is using technology more and more then it is the teachers' duties to prepare them with the right tools.

IS IT OKAY TO BE A TECHNOLOGICALLY ILLITERATE TEACHER
With how the technology world is constantly changing it is hard for anyone to learn everything there is to know but all teachers should try. Yes, they already have a lot on their plate but in my opinion they knew that when they decided to become a teacher. If the students are expected to learn and know certain technology items for their future then teachers should be expected to do so as well. If a group of teachers decided to research every so often to see what the latest trend was and they all shared what they learned it would be easier.
I agree with Mr. Fisch's statement "If a teacher today is not technologically literate- and is unwilling to make the effort to learn more- it's equivalent to a teacher 30 years ago who didn't know how to read and write." No, I personally do not believe it is too extreme because technology is becoming just as important in our society as reading and writing is. In order for most jobs to run smoothly they have to have some level of knowledge when it comes to technology.

SOCIAL MEDIA COUNT
Sitting and watching as each line changed constantly felt almost unreal. Normal people do not think of how fast the internet is constantly changing and producing items every second. Even just me sitting here it is moving so fast I cannot keep up with it.
The growing of all these different aspects of the internet means that as a teacher I will have to stay on top of the newest and latest stuff out there for my students to learn with. All or most of my students no matter what age group I will have will be technology literate even if it is just with their parents iphone. Each generation of students are learning more and more by using these different tools and it is my job to make sure I have the right resources for them to learn with at all times. If I do not know much about something then that means we can learn about it together.

A VISION OF STUDENTS TODAY
This movie was not what I first thought of when I read the title. It was very informative and well thought out. All of the statements that were wrote down and shown on pieces of paper or on computers were all true. Teachers do not realize or even act like they know how much pressure and stress is being put on a student that they did not ask for. All students, not just college students will get overwhelmed every year with school and home life.
We are becoming more and more technologically literate but it is costing families more money for school supplies and home life. Some families will have money issues and will not get the great resources that other students have. Something that could be done is to allow a certain amount of time spent in the lab for students who need to do online school work but can't because of financial burdens or home life burdens.

1 comment:

  1. I felt your positions on the topics were very good. I liked how you handled your critique as well. I felt the same way and chose to handle it that way as well. You can sense how strongly you feel about the points you are making which helps inspire us on ours. I enjoyed the read and look forward to more incites.

    ReplyDelete